Tuesday, December 12, 2006
Oregon Republican League: Elder Photos
Oregon Republican League:Republican League Register of Oregon, The Register Publishing Company, 1896, page 46.
HERMANN, BINGER, of Roseburg, was born near Cumberland, Allegany County, Maryland, and was educated at Irvington College, near Baltimore. His father, a Baltimore physician, in 1858 conducted a colony of Marylander to Oregon, locating in the Coquille Valley. Here Mr. Hermann helped clear the forest in true pioneer style, and taught the first public school in that section, teaching also in other counties. In 1866 he was elected to the legislature from Douglas County, and that year was admitted to the bar. He continued his law studies in the office of Hon. John B. Felton, of San Francisco, and then returned to Oregon, serving as Depute Collector of Internal Revenue under Medrem Crawford and Dr. Wilson Bowlby. He was State Senator for Douglas County in 1868, and in 1871 was appointed Receiver of the United States Land Office for Southern Oregon. He then practiced his profession in Roseburg until 1884, when he was elected to Congress for the entire state, and has been continuously re-elected ever since, representing the first district since 1892. Twice he was elected when the opposition elected the Governor. Mr. Hermann is now the oldest Member of Congress in time of service from states west of the Missouri river. He has served on the committees of territories, public lands, war claims, manufacturers and rivers and harbors. He was chairman of the committee on Indian depredations claims in the Fifty-first Congress, and is now chairman of the committee on arid lands.