Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Oregon Republican League: History 104 Biographies

Every Wednesday, the Oregon Republican League will post the biographies of important figures, in the League's/State of Oregon's history. Feel free to comment or share stories of your family's Republican affiliation.

An Illustrated History of Baker, Grant, Malheur and Harney Counties, (1902) by Western Historical Publishing Company of Chicago, page 234


The son of James and Bridget (Doolen), natives of Ireland, our subject first saw the light in that famous little isle on December 29, 1841, and amid the rural scenes of his native land he passed the first six years of his life. 1847 was the year that the family tore themselves from the home land and sought their fortunes in America, settling first in Ontario county, New York, whence, two years later, they removed to Lockport, Illinois, where the father and mother passed to the other world, and at eighteen Patrick H. found himself on his own resources in this new land. He was possessed of strength and a dauntless spirit, coupled with consumate courage and pluck, and his energy at once caused him to try the west, his first venture being to Pike's Pkeak, where he mined and freighted for two years and then at the very beginning of the war enlisted in the Second Colorado Cavalry and did faithful military service for his chosen country in the army of the frontier in Missouri, Kansas, Colrado and New Mexico until the war closed. Soon after this time he was married to Miss Mary Crimmons, a native of Illinois, and together they migrated to Oregon, settling first in Union county, near the town of Union, and in 1869 he took land on Big creek in the same county, where he remained for twenty years, devoting his attention to the cultivation of the soil and stock raising. Following this period, he removed to his present place of one hundred and twenty acres in the Lower Powder river valley, fifteen miles from Baker City, where he is dividing his attention between agriculture and placer mining, which latter is prosecuted on Eagle creek. He is also interested in the recent oil finds in Malheur and Crook counties, this state, his son being the first discoverer of the same. In political matters he is a Republican and has frequently been called by his fellows to discharge the duties of public office, which has been done with faithfulness and the manifestation of ability.

To Mr. and Mrs. Miles have been born the following children: David A., James D., John D., Charles H., Ellen A., wife of W. Davis of Eagle valley, Roland G.

History of Central Oregon, published 1906, Biographical Sketches of Lake County by James Small, page 903

Holder, William

William Holder is now one of the thrifty tillers of the soil and lives in the vicinity of Paisley, Crook county, Oregon his home being eleven miles south of that place. He was born on August 11, 1854, near Cornwalll, Benton county, Oregon. His father, Adam Holder, was born in Pennsylvania, crossing the plains form Iowa in 1853 to Benton county and in 1859 settled in Corvallis, where he followed blacksmithing. In 1885, he came across the mountains to Sherman county where he is now living, aged eighty-two years. He married Julia A. Kompp, who was born on the Rine, in Germany. she came to the United States when a girl and lived in Iowa where she was married. She is now seventy-two yeas of age and is still living. Her father, August Kompp, was an officer in the German army. Our subject has one brother, Lewis D. of Sherman county, Oregon and one sister Mrs. Pinkie Johnson, deceased. William was educated in the public schools and the agricultural collage at Corvallis. In 1881 he went to Sherman county, his name appearing on the Republican ticket and he was the first Republican sheriff of the county. So well did he fill the office that two years later he was chosen again to the same position and in 1898, the people determined to give him a third term and accordingly he was overwhelmingly elected. This gives him six years of continuous service in that important office and he left a record of uprightess and faithfulness seldom exceeded. In 1900 Mr. Holder went to Shaniko, where he operated a newspaper for a while , then he bought the Prineville Review and conducted it for a time. After that , we find him in charge of the Paisley Post and in the fall of 1903, he purchased one hundred and sixty acres of good land where he now resides, one-third of which is in cultivation and it is a splendid estate. It possesses some natural meadow, has an abundance of water for irrigation , has all the improvements and conveniences, as house, barn, orchard and so fourth.

Mr. Holder has been twice married and has six children: Nellie, the wife of Erwin Pike of Sherman county; Minnie, wife of Prof. Frank Henry of Moro, Oregon; Carl; Neva; Eulalia; and Thomas.

Mr. Holder is past grand of the I.O.O.F. and present noble grand. He is a member of the encampment, and of the W.W. the Maccabees and the K.P. He has been representative to the grand lodges of the I.O.O.F. and Maccabees. He is a man of energy and intelligence, well informed on the questions of the day and a progressive, public minded citizen.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Oregon Republican League: Honoring our Republican Fallen

The Times, Junction City, Oregon, March 27, 1897

DIED-- Dr. H.V. Henderson died in Eugene 7:20 P.M. Friday March 19, 1897, of blood poisoning in right leg. Age 39 years, 10 months, 29 days. Born in College Hill, a suburb of Eugene, April 20, 1857. Deceased was a member of A.F.&A.M., K.P. Woodmen and Elks. Member of City Council, fireman, chairman of Republican Central Committee. Funeral from residence Sunday afternoon. The four lodges attended in a body. Ritualistic work by Masonic Lodge, Astoria, Oregon March 23.


The Hood River News, Hood River, OR., September 20, 1946, page 1
Includes portrait

Played Prominent Part In War Financing

Death, following a brief illness, ended the many activities of County Judge Christian D. Nickelsen, Wednesday of this week. Last week end he developed pneumonia and on Monday word came that his condition was critical. When members of the family were called, friends realized that the end was not far away.

“Chris” Nickelsen, as he was known to friends, was born on the island of Fohr, off the coast of Denmark and came to the United States with his mother and brother, John R., in 1878, when he was seven years of age, to join his father, Martin, who had preceded them in the Atlantic crossing and had established himself at Marysville, Calif. Shortly afterwards, the family traveled by boat up to Portland, and went to The Dalles, where Martin H. Nickelsen established himself as a blacksmith.

The family moved to Hood River in 1882, where Chris went to school. In 1892 he married Gertrude Rigby, who died in 1896, leaving him with one daughter, Gertrude. Two years later, he married Mattie Barnes, who survives him. To this union were born four daughters and a son, and three of the daughters are still living.

Chris Nickelsen had a wide range of interests in this county. He at one time played a leading part in the development of irrigation in this area, as one of the contractors who built a large section of the first irrigation ditch. He organized the first band here, members of which, for a long period, wore Indian garb. He was one of the first members of the Port commission, and ran for Congress on the Republican ticket, with backing of the Townsend clubs of Oregon.

In 1938, he was elected county judge and held this office till his death. He was also owner of the Merchants Credit Exchange for many years. He entered newspaper work as editor of the former Glacier and was, for a time, editor and part owner of the Hood River News in the earlier years of this century. For a long time he has been a member of the public land committee of the Association of Oregon counties, and one of his last activities in that connection appeared in the form of an analysis in last week’s News.

Two of many residents he was best known for his work as a member of the county war finance committee, and in the interests of financing the recent war he played a prominent part in the many programs which carried Hood River county to the top, in nation and state, in its participation in the various war-financing campaigns. He was one of twelve residents of this county to be awarded the Silver medal of the Treasury department, and one of 11 county members to wear the emblem of the Million Dollar club for his war efforts.

Chris Nickelsen was a Mason, a member of Knights of Pythias and the Grange. For years he operated his cherry ranch just south of town and was one of the first growers to install an orchard sprinkling system in the valley, with excellent results.

He is survived by his widow, Mattie, four daughters, Mrs. Vernita Towne, Sacramento; Mrs. Ver Lene Wright, Hood River; Mrs. Genevra Green, Laguna Beach, Calif., and Mrs. Gertrude Johnson, of Bend, Ore.; and a son Lowell, Hood River.

A brother, John R. Nickelsen, of Portland; and two sisters, Mrs. Margaret Bullard, Gold Beach, and Mrs. Ida Frohn, of Hood River, also survive him.

Day and time of funeral services had not been decided upon when the News went to press yesterday.

News-Times, Newport, OR March 19, 2003

Louise Galash

Louise Margaret (Westdal) Galash, 88, of Portland, formerly of Newport, (Lincoln Co.) died March 15, 2003.

She was born Sept. 7, 1914 in Charlson, N.D.

She moved to Portland in 1937.

She married Joseph N. Galash in 1938.

She was secretary of the Republican Central Committee of Oregon and I.O.O.F. of Oregon.

She was a homemaker.

She and her husband moved to Newport in 1969. In 2000, she moved to Portland.

She was a volunteer with the Yaquina Art Association.

Survivors include a son and daughter-in-law, Neal and Ida Galash; three daughters and sons-in-law, Joan and Vernon Chatman III, Carolyn and Ron Simonson, and Sandra and Ken Bakke; nine grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her husband, Joseph, in 2001.

A memorial service was held at Zeller Chapel of the Roses. Memorial contributions may be made to Providence Hospital Hospice.

June 25, 1915 - May 28, 2001

SALEM (MARION CO.)- Frances Forbes, Salem resident since 1957, died May 28, at her winter home in Mesa, Ariz.

She is survived by her two daughters, Nancy Lawrence of Denver, Colo., and Patricia Shinn of Beaverton; two grand daughters, Julee Shinn of Portland, and Leanne Shinn of Seattle, Wash.

Frances was an active member of First United Methodist Church in Salem, serving as a past president of the First Methodist United Women and a long time choir member. Being the wife of former State legislator, Clinton Forbes, provided her with many opportunities to take leadership roles in Republican Women and Women Lions Club International. She believed in working hard for the community in which she lived and also enjoyed serving as an active volunteer to Salem Hospital.

Memorial services are pending at First United Methodist Church. At this time the family request memorial contributions to Citadel Activity Fund, 5121 E. Broadway, Mesa, AZ 85206 Attn: Linda Petty. Arrangements by Mesa Heritage Mortuary in Arizona.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Let's talk accountability...

County must reinvent itself

January 24, 2007

Any loss of "safety net" resources requires Douglas County to focus on fewer core services, rather than merely "thinning the soup." Therefore, the county must commit to reinvent itself. All departments, programs and functions must organize around concise missions, to ensure the efficient allocation of resources and performance of tasks assigned. This requires a highly articulated system of departmental and program improvement plans, within a continuous improvement model of governance.

Departmental or program improvement plans flow from mission statements. Mission statements are written to encapsulate the goals and intentions of stakeholders in undertaking to perform particular tasks. From the mission, a statement of facts follows. These facts define the current situation, with regard to the particular mission. The plan then turns to examples how other service providers perform the task, what innovations exist and what "best practices" have developed. Next, a plan would state goals that take into consideration how "best practices" are employed to meet local circumstances.

Action items are then stated, to include a concise statement of who is doing what, where, within what time frame and what indicators/benchmarks establish that the plans are executed. A statement of limitations provides a sense of what resources are necessary to enact the plan, what regulatory impediments exist that impair enactment and whether opportunities exist to restructure the regulatory environment or resource-build. Benchmarks provide opportunities to flex, as necessary, to meet practical circumstances and provide opportunities to alter course, or personnel.

Finally, a plan provides evaluation opportunities. What did we say we would do? What did we do? Successes? Failures? How do we improve?

A comprehensive system of planning tools prioritizes, correlates and articulates core services. Further, where the broader community is provided sufficient opportunities for buy-in and feedback, such a system would serve to rationalize, and de-politicize, the required reorganization.

Tony Larson

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Oregon Republican League: History 104 Biographies

Every Wednesday, the Oregon Republican League will post the biographies of important figures, in the League's/State of Oregon's history. Feel free to comment or share stories of your family's Republican affiliation.

An Illustrated History of Baker, Grant, Malheur and Harney Counties, (1902), by Western Historical Publishing Co. of Chicago, page 458


Born December 1, 1830, in Sweden, he remained there until 1858, and then came to this land of the free. He followed a seafaring life and before 1864 he had served two years in the American navy. His skill and ability were to manifest that in this time he was one of the gunners and gained distinction in this responable position. On April 10, 1864, he landed in San Francisco and then went to The Dalles in a few months, where he remained until the spring of 1865, when he came to this region and engaged in mining. For three years he was occupied with this industry and then took his ranch where he lives, six miles northeast from Mount Vernon, on Beach creek. He went to raising cattle and sheep, and at this work he has since continued, while prosperity has smiled upon him. In political matters he is ever active, and he firmly holds to the principles of the grand old party that has piloted the nation safely through crises when other advocates have failed. He has always been a stanch Republican, and has the courage of his convictions. Mr. Anderson has never taken unto himself a wife, preferring the quieter joys of bachelorhood to the responsibilities and cares incident to connubial bliss.


Published By: David D. Fagan
Portland, Oregon (1885)

BLAIR, Thomas J.--Was born in Bond county, Illinois 11 June 1830, but at the age of 6 years went with his parents to Lee county, Iowa, where he resided and engaged in farming until the spring of 1853. Mr. BLAIR and his wife now crossed the plains to Oregon, arriving in October of that year; but in March of 1854, he removed from Oregon City to Benton county, and first settled on the South Fork of Mary's river, on land now owned by Mr. SPEARS. While residing on this claim our subject found the country in the throes of a civil war, and like every patriotic citizen he determined to contribute towards the maintenance of the Union, therefore, in 1864 he enlisted in Company A., First Oregon Infantry and with that corps served nearly 2 years. Upon obtaining his discharge he disposed of his farm, removed to Yaquina Bay and there dwelt for 3 years, when, transferring his residence in 1878, to the city of Corvallis, he engaged in a warehouse and grain-storing business. In the spring of 1884, Mr. BLAIR was elected to the office of Treasurer of Benton county on the Republican ticket, and is still the able and efficient holder of the position. Married in Lee county, Iowa in 1851, Miss Lucinda J. MONTGOMERY, who died 30 June 1881, and had a family, viz: Martha N (now Mrs. F. H. SAWTELL), Nellie, and Clara.


An Illustrated History of Baker, Grant, Malheur and Harney Counties, (1902) by Western Historical Publishing Co. of Chicago, page 249


In executing a compilation of this character, serios criticism would be brought upon us did we failt o mention the leading business man and prominent citizen whose name initates this article and who has demonstrated in the arena of life's struggles his fitness for the distinction that he enjoys, proving himself a worthy descendant of the noted line of ancestry that precedes him, being a direct lineal descendant of the famous Potter family that broke away from the thralldom of the established church in England in 1600 and assisted to found would famous Quaker colonies in the United Staes, his mother also coming from one of the oldest families in the United States.

The birth of our subject occurred in Buffalo, New York, on July 26, 1854, his parents being Abram and Mary A. (Tucker) Potter, natives of the Empire state. In his native city he was educated, and when twenty years of age he went to Chicago and embarked upon his business career, his initial effort being in the commission industry. After two years in this business he repaired to Fort Dodge, Iowa, and took up insurance and handling sewing machines until 1881, when he came west as a member of the engineers' corps for the Oregon Short Line, continuing in that capacity until 1884. The following year he came to Union county and took up general merchandising in the Cornucopia mining district, where he was favored with very gratifying prosperity. In 1890 he came to Baker City, following the same business for seven years, when he was asked to accept the position of postmaster for Baker City, and in this capacity he has been serving since, with the display of ability and faithfulness that have won for him commendations from all the patrons of the office. He is considered a most conscieentious and efficient officer. He has acted as chairman of the Republican county central committee and is very prominent in his party, where his counsels are prized. He was deuputy sheriff in Union county from 1887 to 1889, and he always manifests a commendable interest in the affairs of the county, city and nation.

The marriage of Mr. Potter and Miss Eda L., daughter of James B. and Mary (Huion) Sission, took place in Iowa on January 1, 1886. Mr. Potter is a member of the Masonic lodge, the A.O.U.W., and the K. of P. He is a stockholder in the Baker City National Bank and has a fine residence on Sixth and Church streets, besides considerable other property.

Monday, January 22, 2007

NRA offers FREE memberships to the Troops

The National Rifle Association is offering free one year memberships to all troops on active duty as a token of appreciation for their service to our country.

The promotion is open to full-time service members and reservists called up to active duty. A membership usually costs $35.00.

Troops who sign up for the membership will be asked for their name, address, rank and email address, but not Social Security or credit card information. They will have to provide additional personal information if they choose to renew their membership the following year.

The membership also comes with a free subscription to one of the NRA's three official journals. (American Rifleman, American Hunter and America's 1st Freedom)

Military members wishing to sign up for the free membership can visit:

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Oregon Republican League: History 104 Biographies

Every Wednesday, the Oregon Republican League will post the biographies of important figures, in the League's/State of Oregon's history. Feel free to comment or share stories of your family's Republican affiliation.

An Illustrated History of Baker, Grant, Malheur and Harney Counties, (1902), by Western Historical Publishing Co. of Chicago, page 461


Mr. Porter was born in Dixmount, Maine in 1832, and when but three years of age his mother died and he spent his childhood and youth in the home of relatives. When he arrived at the age of twenty his attention and time were turned to teaching school, and for a series of years he was numbered with the active and progressive educators of his native place. Following this he learned the wagonmaker's trade and wrought at it for ten years, then turned to farming for a time, and in 1870 he migrated to this section of the west. For a period he was occupied in farming near to John Day and then took a homestead in Malheur, but subsquently he bought the place where he now lives two miles west from John Day. Here he owns and cultivates three hundred and twenty acres of land is counted one of the leading stockmen and agriculturists of the county. His place is well improved and an air of neatness and thrift characterize everything about his premises, and he has added many things that make rural life attractive and comfortable, while his care and ability as a farmer are manifested in every department. Mr. Porter also owns the ranch that he secured in Malheur and considerable other property, being a substantial representative of the property interests of his region. His herds are extensive and his skill in handling them gives him the best of returns from his investments.

The marriage of Mr. Porter and Miss Caroline Prentice was celebrated in Maine in the year 1856. To them have been born four children: Francis, Edith, Lesley and Mary, all of whom are married. In fraternal affiliations Mr. Porter is identified with the Masons, Archon Lodge, in Dixmount, Maine. In politics he is a stanch Republican and has always been an upholder of their platform. He has a goodly prominence in local affairs, having served as justice of the peace for two terms in succession, and is always wide awake in matters that pertain to the welfare of the state and education.

An Illustrated History of Baker, Grant, Malheur and Harney Counties, (1902), by Western Historical Publishing Co. of Chicago, page 462


Mr. Martin was born in April, 1869, in the Golden State, being the son of P. C. and Phoebe (Davis) Martin, natives respectively of Indiana and Missouri, the father having crossed the plains in 1854, and the mother in the previous year, bothing having had the experience of riding the entire distance behind ox teams. Their marriage occured in March 1862, and in 1869 they came to Oregon. Zachariah J. received his education in this state and at the age of nineteen years began teaching school in Gilliam and Grant counties and continued in that capacity with undistrurbed and excellent success for ten years. From 1890 to 1897 he was justice of the peace in the Haystack precinct and his decisions and administration of the law were marked with ability and integrity. In 1898 the people of Grant county called him to act as county treasurer, he having run on the Republican ticket. In this capacity he is acting at the present time, and it is with credit to himself and advantage to his constituency. In fraternal affiliations he is associated with the W. of W., Lodge No. 222, Canyon City. Mr. Martin is universally beloved and esteemed, being possessed of those qualities that are the admiration of all and displaying geniality, ability and integrity always.

An Illustrated History of Baker, Grant, Malheur and Harney Counties, (1902), by Western Historical Publishing Co. of Chicago. page 463


In 1824 he was born in England, and at the tender age of ten shipped for a seafaring life, knowing the hardships of the craft from cabin boy to the top. In 1844 he landed in Baltimore, and from there made his way to Washington, D. C. and being of an adaptive turn of mind, found that market gardening was a paying business and immediately embarked therein. Four years later he shipped on the "W. P. Sable" for an exploration trip in the southern Pacific ocean. On November 14, 1849, in the midst of the unparalleled excitement of that memorable year, he landed in San Francisco, and for eight year she searched for the hidden treasure with diligence and much labor and hardship. In 1857 he commenced to ranch in Shasta county and this occupied his attention until 1862, the date of his advent into Canyon City, which ten consisted of a few houses and two stores, was the spring of 1863, and here he immediately took up mining and followed it closely for two years. Then it was his happy lot to take a pleasure trip to the east for one year, after which he again came to Canyon City and commenced the raising of sheep, which he has followed ever since, being attended with a very gratifying success. He was the first one that raised sheep in Grant county, and to-day he is one of the leaders, having one section of land and many of these profitable animals, besides a number of horses. In political matters he is a prominent figure in the county, pulling ever with the Republican party, where his wisdom and keen foresight are particularly useful and acceptable to the good of his party. Fraternally he is a member of the Masons and the I.O.O.F., having passed all the chairs of these institutions. The charms of the celibate's quiet life of comfort and good cheer are his, having never been lured therefrom to try martrimony's sea of uncertainty and career of cares and responsibilities.

Friday, January 12, 2007

Oregon Republican League: Honoring our Republican Fallen

Register-Guard Eugene, Lane, OR April 21, 2000

A memorial celebration has been held for Beryl M. Palmer of Eugene, who died April 11 of cancer. She was 80.

Palmer was born July 2, 1919, in Del Ta Hur, China, to Kenneth and Flora Sowerby McCoy. She lived in Beijing until moving to Santa Monica, Ca. in 1933, where she graduated from high school. She lived in Hawaii from 1945 to 1998, then moved to Eugene. She married Joseph Molloy in Santa Monica in 1939. They were divorced in 1942. She married Harry Palmer in Honolulu in 1953. He died in 1989. Palmer worked as a legal secretary, an executive secretary and a public relations industrial editor.

Her interest included painting and sculpting. She was a classical pianist and played the ukulele. Palmer belonged to Rotary International and Daughters of the British Empire, and was a founding member of the Citizens Committee in Hawaii. She recieved the Western Regional Industrial Editors Award and the Republican Party president's award.

Survivors include a daughter, Victoria "Pualani" Burzell of Eugene; a brother, Seguier McCoy of Taipai, Taiwan; a sister, Myrtle Baird of Santa Maonica; and four grandchildren.

England's Eugene Memorial Chapel was in charge of arrangements.


The Hood River Glacier, Hood River, OR., December 25, 1924, page 5

(From The Dalles Chronicle of last Friday.)

Daniel J. Cooper, a pioneer of Wasco county, died yesterday afternoon at the Good Samaritan hospital in Portland. Mr. Cooper was 88 years of age and is survived by his wife and 14 of their 15 sons and daughters.

Mr. Cooper was born in Tennessee but moved with his parents to Missouri when he was 2 years old. When he was 20 years of age Mr. Cooper came to California with an uncle, but returned to Missouri in 1861. He enlisted in Company D. of the 76th Missouri regiment, took part in several skirmishes and battles of the Civil war, and was honorably discharged with the rank of second lieutenant. He was one of the oldest members of the James W. Nesmith post of the G.A.R. here.

In 1863, with his wife and two children, one of whom was born on the plains, Mr. Cooper arrived in Oregon by ox-team, having made the journey with a train including his father and a large family of brothers and sisters. Settling in Polk county, Mr. Cooper remained for 20 years in the Willamette valley before coming to eastern Oregon where he lived on a ranch on the Ten Mile creek and in The Dalles.

In politics Mr. Cooper was Republican, and represented this section several times on committees to the state legislature. He was a delegate to the Republican national convention which nominated the late Warren G. Harding president.

Mrs. Cooper, who survives her husband, makes her home with Mr. and Mrs. Francis V. Galloway, of this city, Mrs. Galloway being her youngest daughter. Sons and daughters who survive are: Dr. Belle Ferguson, of Seaside; C.C. Cooper, of Dufur; Mrs. James Thompson, of Lewiston, Ida.; E.N. Cooper, of Billings, Mont.; Mrs. C.I. Thomas, of Troutdale; Mrs. F.W. Bayley, of The Dalles; Cyrus Cooper, of The Dalles; Mrs. Ruth Cooper Fish, of Los Angeles; Daniel J. Cooper, of Montana; Mrs. Virgilia Northup, of Portland; Lieutenant Colonel A.J. Koberg, of Portland, and Mrs. Francis V. Galloway, of The Dalles. Another son, Lynn Cooper, died as a small boy. Also surviving are 44 grandchildren.

Funeral services will be conducted tomorrow afternoon at 2 o’clock at the Crandall chapel with Rev. Bryant C. Preston, pastor of the Congregational church, officiating.

This was posted for reference only. I am not related to, nor am I researching this family. If you have additional information about the person or event listed above, please post it as reply to this message.
Bette S. Glaab

Bette S. Glaab died Sunday, March 19, 2006, at the age of 85.

No services have been planned. Arrangements are in the care of Waud's Funeral Home, of Tillamook.

Bette Snyder Glaab was born in Morristown, N.J., June 30, 1920, to James Irving Snyder and Mabel Clymer Snyder.

She married William V. Glaab Jr. in 1942 after they met as juniors in high school. Their life together was one of happy adventures, traveling together to most every state in the union, Canada and Mexico.

After graduating from Morristown High School in 1939 and Drake Business College, in Newark, N.J., she commuted to New York as an executive secretary until she accompanied her husband to Army Air Corps bases around the country. After his service, they returned to Morristown until they moved to the "high desert" in southern California in 1955.

While living at Edwards Air Force Base and in Lancaster, Calif., the Glaabs raised their two children, William V. Glaab III and Jill Anne Glaab (Miller). Mrs. Glaab was active in the PTA, Cub Scouts, Brownies and Girl Scouts. She was a 35-year member of the Scouts. She was also active in Little League, Hi-Y, the Junior Women's Club and the Antelope Valley Gem and Mineral Club in Lancaster.

The Glaabs moved to Pacific City (Tillamook Co.) in 1977 after falling in love with the area 16 years earlier. Mrs. Glaab was active in the Pacific City Women's Club, South County Garden Club, Pacific City Churchwomen's Guild and the Republican Woman's Club. She volunteered at the Pacific City Senior Center Food Program and PCCC. She was also active in the south county branch of the OSU Extension.

In her free time, she loved to paint using watercolors.

She is survived by her husband of 63 years, Bill Glaab; brother, Bill Snyder, in North Carolina; son, "Bud," and daughter, Jill; granddaughter, Andrea Johnston, and grandson, Bob Reickert; and five great grandchildren, with one on the way.

The News Guard, Lincoln City, OR March 29, 2006
The Lincoln Co. Leader, Toledo, OR February 21, 1935

William B. Hayden Buried on Tuesday

Farmed Most Of Life. Came From Nebraska to Oregon in 1900

William Bramwell Hayden was born at Springport, Jackson County, Michigan, April 4, 1850 and died Sunday Morning, February 17, 1935, at his home in Toledo, Oregon, aged 84 years, 10 months and 13 days.

When a young man he went to Illinois where on October 31, 1874, he was united in marriage with Miss Annie Pulyer. To this union six children were born, five of whom are still living: Mrs. N. H. Sherwood of Otter Rock, Mrs. C. H. Gleason, Geneva, Ohio, Kenneth H. of Saginaw, Michigan and Max B. and Fern N. of this city.

In 1884 the family moved to Fairfield, Nebraska, where they remained until 1900, when they moved to Oregon, spending five years near Portland, and coming to Toledo in October 1905, and where he resided until his death. His wife passed away about ten years ago, soon after they had celebrated their golden wedding anniversary.

Mr. Hayden followed farming most of his life, with the exception of a few years in the livery business in Nebraska. About fifteen years ago, he retired from active labor.

Mr. Hayden was a staunch republican and had very little faith in latterday theories of political leaders. He met his obligations as they became due and had a good word for all.

Funeral services were held at the Bateman Undertaking parlors at 9:00 p.m. Tuesday, the 19th, with Rev. R. A. Feenstra officiating. Interment was in the Newport cemetery immediately thereafter.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Oregon Republican League: History 104 Biographies

Every Wednesday, the Oregon Republican League will post the biographies of important figures, in the League's/State of Oregon's history. Feel free to comment or share stories of your family's Republican affiliation.

An Illustrated History of Baker, Grant, Malheur and Harney Counties, pub. 1902 by Western Historical Publishing Co. of Chicago, page 453


Born in Dorset, England, in 1836, he there spent the years of his life until 1856, gaining the excellent training to be had in the schools of his land and acquiring the skill of the husbandman and horticulturist. In 1859, he came to the United States, filled with buoyant hopes and fired by a spirit of progression and energy. His first occupation was operating a dairy for J. Taylor in Polk county, where he continued for two years, and then in company with his brother, William, bought the outfit and removed it to Walla Walla in the fall of 1861. In the hard winter of 1861-62 they lost all their stock, and the spring bringing tidings of the new diggins on Powder river, in company with his brother, Thomas Brentz and Napoleon Nelson, Mr. Hall determined to seek his fortune there, and soon was on the ground. He went on to Canyon City, and there commenced mining, which occupied him until 1864. Thomas Brentz and Mr. Hall were the builders of the first log cabin in Grant county, is the opinion of Mr. Hall. After the time in mining, as stated, Mr. Hall and his brother bought the farm where he is living at the present time, four miles west from Prairie City. Their farm contained eight hundred acres, but has been increased to two thousand five hundred acres and is well improved and stocked. In company with his brother, Mr. Hall is still raising cattle and tilling the soil, prosperity having attended his efforts from the beginning. In political matters he has ever been active, and holds with the Republican party. In 1880 the people of the county called him to the office of county commissioner and with satisfaction to all he discharged the functions of that office. From 1882 to 1885 he was state senator and did excellent service in that capacity, holding the chairmanship of the important committee on education, and was also a potent factor in passing the Hygiene bill and the bill against prize fighting. Fraternally Mr. Hall is affiliated with the I.O.O.F., Lodge No. 33, of Prairie City.

Mr. Hall was married in 1870, and has three children, John, Jennie and Egbert. It is interesting that Mr. Hall's sons have, unaided, constructed an electric plant that supplies the house with light, which even in these days of advanced engineering, is a feat that is very praiseworthy. Mr. Hall believes that Napoleon Nelson was the first man to make a trip to The Dalles with gold dust from the new camp.


An Illustrated History of Baker, Grant, Malheur and Harney Counties, pub. 1902 by Western Historical Publishing Co. of Chicago, page 460


Like to many of our most thrifty and enterprising citizens, Mr. Sels was born of good old German stock in Westphalia, hiss native town being Meschede, and the date of his nativity 1837. At the age of seventeen the attractions of the "Fatherland" were left behind, farewells were spoke to the friends and relatives, and young Sels turned his face to the Mecca of the world's advancement, America, and opened a career that was destined to be fraught with stirring activities, crowded with events and crowned with becoming success. On December 31, 1854, he reached California, and on July 1862, he set foot in what is now Canyon City. That summer was spent in mining in the Prairie diggins, four miles northeast from Prairie City, and the following spring he opened a general merchandise establishment in Canyon, his partner being E. J. W. Stemme, who has been his companion on his journeys hitherto. In this business Mr. Sels continued until 1866, when he sold out to his brother, H. R. Sels. From 1864 to 1866 he was justice of the peace, and the last year of that time was also postmaster, which he resigned to accept the treasurership of the county, having been elected to that position in 1866. Two years later he was chosen state senator, defeating his opponent, John Driblesby, by a majority of five votes, he being the only Republican candidate that was elected. Driblesby carried the matter to the senate in contest and secured his seat because Mr. Sels had an undecided contest on his hands with L. O. Stearns from the election of 1866. In 1869 he took a pleasure trip back to his native land, and upon returning to Canyon in 1876, was elected county judge, which position he held for four years. In 1870 Mr. Sels bought the brewery in Canyon City, and two weeks later it was destroyed by fire. Immediately he rebuilt fireproof buildings and gave his attention to the prosecution of this business, which he has successfully operated since, in addition to the varied and numerous public positions that he has faithfully and efficently filled.

It is of note that when he was in The Dalles in 1863 buying goods, that his train was attacked by the Indians when fifteen miles out from Canyon City. Again, the next year, the attack was repeated, but in both cases the savages were repulsed. During the long and interesting career of our subject he has never entered the matrimonial state, choosing rather the quietness of celebacy, than the cares and responsibilities of domesticity. And now in the golden time of life, with the pleasures of a goodly competence that his sagacity and enterprise have accumulated, Mr. Sels is enjoying to the utmost his portion, being also favored with the respect, esteem and confidence of all that are numbered in his acquaintanceship.

Friday, January 05, 2007

Oregon National Guard Newsletter: The Oregon Sentinel

Please read the Winter Edition of The Oregon Sentinel:

Please find the following history, of the Oregon Military Department, at:

Oregon´s provisional government passed the first militia law on July 5, 1843. It authorized the forming of a battalion of mounted riflemen, composed of the male inhabitants of Oregon between the ages of 16 and 60 who wish to be recognized as citizens by the new government. The law allowed for the annual election of officers who would inspect their volunteer troops once a year and could assemble them at any time in the case of invasion or local insurrection. The troops were also subject to call, with governmental consent, by any authorized agent of the United States government. In reality, while officers were commissioned, militia units were never formed due to the political climate in Oregon. The large population of French Canadians and Hudson´s Bay officials and employees did not recognize the government and distrusted the formation of any organized military unit in the disputed territory.

A second military bill passed on March 9, 1844. It called for the organization of militia companies to combat hostile Indians. The bill led to the formation of the Oregon Rangers on March 11, 1844, a fifteen man force which drilled at the Oregon Institute but saw no action. That summer, the legislature again amended the militia law. Worries over defense continued, and in 1845 a legislative committee made up of one representative from each county was appointed to draft a comprehensive bill "for the protection of this colony." This would include the building of blockhouses and arms magazines and further revising of the militia law. The decision to form a coalition government with British citizens and limited funds doomed these plans.

The situation did not change after the 1846 treaty which gave the United States territorial jurisdiction over Oregon. No organized militia existed until December 1847 and the Cayuse attack on the Whitman mission at Waiilatpu. On December 8, the legislature authorized the formation of a 50 man rifle company to relieve the mission and protect survivors. Forty-five men quickly volunteered and left Oregon City on boats for Fort Vancouver the next day, even as the legislature voted to raise a regiment for a campaign against the Indians. On December 28, the office of adjutant general was created to oversee administrative and logistical control over the troops.

Territorial status brought to Oregon arms for its arsenals, money to pay the volunteers who fought the Cayuses, and federal troops to assist in fighting future Indians wars. Bills passed by the Oregon legislature in 1854, 1855, and 1856 reorganized the militia and allowed occupational and religious exemptions from military service. The state constitution passed in 1857 summarized the existing laws to that time. Its provisions defined enlistment in the militia, listed exemptions, made the governor ex-officio commander-in-chief of the military and naval forces of the state, allowed for the executive appointment of an adjutant general and general staff officers, and authorized the legislature to provide necessary rules and regulations for governing the militia.

The military code adopted in 1862 formally gave the governor´s office its powers over the militia. It listed the members of the general staff and formed a Board of Military Auditors to review volunteer companies´ claims for ammunition and other stores. The legislature amended the law two years later by expanding the duties of the adjutant general. Several motions to repeal the military code were defeated in the special session of 1865, and the legislators authorized a military fund be set up to offer cash payments to volunteers as an inducement to drill, including rewards to the best drilled companies and the paying of expenses for companies called to parade.

The legislature abolished the adjutant general´s office in 1870 and transferred its duties to the secretary of state. However, the position returned when another military code passed in 1887. It authorized the governor to appoint an adjutant general, other chief officers of the general staff, his own staff, and the State Military Board, the latter to act as advisors to him on military affairs. The law also did away with the Board of Military Auditors and designated the active militia as the Oregon National Guard and the inactive militia as the Oregon Reserve Militia.

A comprehensive 1895 law directed that all general officers be selected by the governor, with the consent of the state senate, and serve a four year term. The general staff would consist of the adjutant general as chief of staff (a position still held today) and eight other designated generals appointed by the governor and holding office at his pleasure. The legislation named to the military board the adjutant general, inspector general, judge advocate general, brigadier general, and surgeon general. In 1901 and 1905, laws amended the required compositions of both the general staff and military board. Another reform abolished the military board in 1909 and gave its advisory duties to the general staff. And in 1915, a bill passed that organized all National Guard units in accordance with United States Army rules and regulations. This meant the governor temporarily had no military staff under the new table of organization.

A state naval militia was established in 1911 and placed under the administration of a board consisting of five commissioned naval officers appointed by the governor. The board existed four years. It was replaced by a naval staff, which included the adjutant general as chairman and two commissioned naval militia officers appointed by the governor. A more comprehensive naval code went into effect in 1917. It allowed the militia to conform to a 1914 naval department act detailing accepted federal rules and regulations governing state naval militias. The federal government loaned the state the U.S.S. Boston, a third-class cruiser, as a militia training ship, and detailed an officer and several chief petty officers from the regular navy as inspectors-instructors. The cruiser U.S.S. Marblehead and torpedo boat destroyer Goldsborough were also made available for militia use. Oregon´s naval militia went into active federal service in 1917. It was subsequently placed into the United State naval reserves and ceased to function as a state unit.

The legislature adopted another military code on the eve of World War I. It named the senior line officer to succeed as commander-in-chief in the event state officers in the regular line of succession were not available. The law also formed a state administrative staff from members of the adjutant general, inspector general, judge advocate general, quartermaster corps, medical, and ordinance departments. Four years later the code was revised to conform to the National Defense Act of 1920. It authorized the governor to appoint, subject to approval by the federal government, a National Guard officer to act as property and disbursing officer for the United States in Oregon and as state property officer.

Two agencies involved with state World War I veterans were created in 1919. A committee to provide designs for medals included the governor, secretary of state, treasurer, state librarian, and adjutant general. It functioned until 1929. The Overseas Welcome Commission, set up to welcome returning resident veterans disembarking in New York City consisted of five executive appointees and was abolished in 1927. In 1923, the state accepted the battleship U.S.S. Oregon and designated the general staff to supervise its maintenance. The legislature changed this two years later and authorized the governor to appoint a five-member commission to assume those duties. After the ship was returned to the federal government during World War II for the reclaiming of its metal, the commission was placed in charge of administering a marine museum which included relics from the ship. The legislature abolished the commission in 1957.

No major revisions in the military code occurred during the rest of the 1920s and 1930s. Laws passed dealt mainly with commissioned officers, although one 1931 bill recognized the service of Indian war volunteers upon accepted proof of participation. This changed with the coming of World War II. President Franklin D. Roosevelt declared a limited national emergency after Germany´s invasion of Poland in September 1939. Oregon responded by being the first in the nation to attain its authorized increase in national guard manpower: over 900 men in less than a week. Roosevelt mobilized most of the Oregon guardsmen by executive order in August 1940, when he named the 41st Division as one of four National Guard divisions to be called up. By 1943, over 6,000 men from the Oregon national guard and guard reserves entered federal service.

Oregon took several measures to bolster its defenses during the war. The legislature formed the Oregon State Guard the day after the attack on Pearl Harbor to assume the local role of departing guard troops. Aircraft observers had already been recruited and observation posts established throughout western Oregon by the fall of 1941. After war was declared, most of these 500 posts were manned 24 hours a day, until placed on a reserve status by the army in 1943. Bills passed in 1941 and 1945 to construct, equip, and furnish armories. The federal Office of Civilian Defense helped with the organizing of a civil defense network within Oregon, the structure for which was already in place due to the appointment of a state defense council by the governor in 1941. All war-connected services other than protection were merged into one division known as the Civilian War Services in July 1942.

The next year the legislature reorganized the state guard and passed a civil defense act which officially created the Oregon State Defense Council. Headed by the governor, the council supervised and coordinated civil defense activities in the state. Also put into operation were an Internal Security Section under the direction of the governor, a state Information and Public Relations Division to promote civil defense activities, and a Rumor and Propaganda Division whose task was to receive and track down rumors to check on their validity and thus undermine and minimize enemy propaganda efforts in Oregon.

The end of the war brought a brief return to pre-war conditions. National Guard troops returned from federal service in 1945. The state defense council stopped functioning in 1947, and the state guard was deactivated at the end of June 1948. However, similar operations were revived on the eve of the Korean conflict. The legislature passed the Oregon Civil Defense Act of 1949 as a response to world tensions and the need for a local defense force in the event of natural or man-made disasters. The act created the Civil Defense Agency, the Civil Defense Advisory Council, and authorized a number of mobile reserve battalions to be called to duty upon orders of the governor. Another 1949 law declared an emergency and formed a national guard reserve unit. The war caused all tactical and air National Guard units in Oregon to be activated into federal service in 1950 and 1951. They were returned to state control by the end of 1953, the same year the legislature officially abolished the state guard.

The adjutant general´s office had acted as a de facto military department since its inception. Sometimes referred to as the military department, by the mid-1950s it was divided into four operating units: administration and personnel, operations and training, purchasing and disbursing, and maintenance. The latter section maintained camps, rifle ranges, and other installations scattered throughout the state. Located at Salem, civilian personnel were appointed by the adjutant general and all assigned military personnel were detailed to it by the adjutant general. Office functions included liaison with the federal government in all military matters affecting the state, keeper of all national guard and state guard personnel records, custodian of relics and memorabilia, quartermaster-general in time of peace, custodian of all state military camps and installations, and overseer of administration and training of the National Guard and storage and distribution of its equipment.

The legislature recognized these operations when they reorganized the militia in 1961 and officially created the Military Department. The department retained all of the functions previously done by the adjutant general´s office. Clauses in the law dealt with administration, personnel, leases and agreements on the use of armories, and disposition of receipts from federal and state monies, including the creation of a revolving fund.

The department was organized into a three-tier operation by 1966. The governor remained in titular control, with a personal staff and the Military Council to advise him. The adjutant general headed the department, and an administrative assistant and the State Armory Advisory Board reported directly to him. Everyday activities were divided among a primary staff with five broad management functions (administration, operations and training, U. S. property and fiscal office, comptroller, and installations) and a special staff with five specialized departments (public information, state maintenance, military support and plans, air national guard base detachment, and army technician personnel). These were overseen by the assistant adjutant general. In addition, a United States Army Advisory Group was assigned to advise and assist in the training of all guard units in the state.

The 1961 militia law remains in effect today. Amendments passed since then include conditions for the appointment of assistant adjutant generals, bills on the regulation of funds, an act making the department the official depository of historical items, a law on grants and donations for the Oregon National Guard Military Museum and Resource Center, and an act on property loss incidental to the activities of the national guard. The department administers 38 armories, two army aviation support facilities, three air base complexes, two camps, and three training sites. Each community with a sufficient population to support guard activities has a guard unit assigned to it.

The department today retains the adjutant general as director, with two assistant adjutants general, one each from the army and air National Guard, next in the line of command.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Oregon Republican League: Honoring our Republican Fallen


Sylvia Diane Henry

HENRY, Sylvia Diane--Was born to Kenneth and Betsy (Mimi) Martin on February 12, 1938, in Grants Pass, Oregon. She attended Grants Pass High School and then went on to college at OSU. This is where she met her husband, Scott Henry. They wed on August 31, 1958, and settled down in Sacramento, California. Sylvia loved her life in Sacramento and was actively involved in school and neighborhood activities. Politics became a great passion of hers and she campaigned for Ronald Reagan when he ran for governor. Sylvia and Scott had three children born while in Sacramento, Scotty, Syndi & Shari. In 1972, they moved to the Henry family farm in Umpqua. Sylvia resumed her political interest and worked on two presidential campaigns for Ronald Reagan and was a delegate twice at the Republican National Convention. She was co-founder and charter member of the Umpqua Valley Republican Women and chairwoman of the Douglas County Republican Party. In 1984, she ran for State Senate, losing a close race to John Kitzhaber. Sylvia was also very active in our local community as an advocate for drug and alcohol rehabilitation. She served on the Governor's Council for Drug Prevention and was key to raising money for more bed space for ADAPT. She also helped raise funds for the building of the Community Cancer Center in Roseburg. Sylvia loved horses and she was a 4-H leader for several years. These are just some of her many community activities. Scott and Sylvia planted a 12 acre vineyard in 1972, and in 1978 built Henry Estate Winery on the family property in Umpqua. Sylvia was very active at the winery. She loved getting the mail every day, organizing festivals, and her very favorite thing, counting money. At harvest time she was crew chief in the vineyard, organizing all the workers and picking schedules. She and Scott enjoyed traveling with their friends and Sylvia was always looking forward to the next trip. She left us on her final trip on November 1, 2003, after a valiant fight against cancer. Sylvia was "one in a million" and was an inspiration to everyone whose life she touched. Her loss leaves a huge void in many hearts. Sylvia is survived by her husband, Scott of Umpqua; son, Scotty and his wife, Jennifer of Roseburg; two daughters, Syndi Beavers and husband, Scott of Umpqua; Shari Burgess and her husband, Bob of Tigard. She is survived by her eight grandchildren, Amanda Meurer; Calvin and Stacy Henry; Brandi Smith; Kevin and Sarah Beavers; and Alyssa and Leah Chamberlin, who will miss her greatly. She is also survived by her mother, Betsy of Roseburg; two brothers, Steve Martin and wife, Louise of Grants Pass; Stan Martin and wife, Kathy of Lake Oswego, Oregon. She also leaves behind her dog, Honey, who she adored and who adored her. She was preceded in death by her father, Kenneth. Family and friends are invited to an outdoor service to celebrate Sylvia's life on Friday, November 7, 2003, at 1:00 p.m. at Henry Estate Winery, 687 Hubbard Creek Road in Umpqua. The family requests that in lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Community Cancer Center in Sylvia's name. CHAPEL OF THE FIRS is in charge of arrangements.


Patrick Edward Terrel
TERREL, Patrick Edward — Age 62, passed away peacefully on February 12, 2004, in Stockton, California. He was born to R.A. “Pat” and Georgia Terrel on July 15, 1941, in Merrill, Oregon. Pat resided in Stockton for the past ten years to be close to his daughters, Michelle Brown and Julie Terrel. Pat grew up in Roseburg, Oregon, and served in the Army from 1958 until 1964. After serving his country he worked as a civil engineer for the U.S. Forest Service. He was preceded in death by his father. He is survived by his mother and will be deeply missed by his daughters, Michelle Brown of Lodi, California; Julie Terrel of Stockton; Kellie Orleck of Parkland, Florida; sister, Sharon Stribling and husband, Laurence of Springfield, Oregon; brothers, Mike and wife, Karen of Sutherlin, Oregon; Dan and wife, Sally of Springfield; Jess and wife, Fran of Sutherlin, Oregon; and Jim of Brighton, Colorado. He will also be missed by seven grandchildren, his in-laws and many nieces and nephews, along with his many friends and of course, the republican party. A celebration of Pat’s life will be held at Dakota Street Pizza in Sutherlin on Friday, February 20, 2004, at 1 p.m. His remains will be placed on his Paternal Grandparent’s grave at Roseburg Memorial Gardens at a later date.

Sonya Keizer
KEIZER, Sonya — Her long battle with cancer is finally over and we will greatly miss her. As her family we are tremendously honored to have had her as our shining light to guide us. Determined to live life to the fullest, she has blessed us in doing so. We have had so many wonderful times with her. Her generosity and love have touched the lives of everyone she came in contact with. Her humor and orneriness has left us laughing. Perhaps Mom's favorite thing to do was to simply, keep going, Mom felt if she stayed active and was doing something she wasn't dying. After our father, John Keizer, passed away she continued taking adventurous trips. Her travels took her to Greece, the Middle East, Europe, and the Hawaiian Islands. We enjoyed many family vacations, her favorite spot was at the condo on the North Shore of Oahu, Hawaii. She loved spending time on the islands and enjoyed treating her grandchildren to many of its treasures. Mom contributed tremendously to the community by volunteering her time and energy. She was active in the Lionesses, Rotary, Republican Womens and volunteered at Mercy Hospital. As owner of the Old Town Cafe, she was able to meet many wonderful people that have become close to our family. Being able to help other people was an important part of her life. She is survived by her sons, Paul and Dan; grandchildren, John Paul; Nicole; Garrett; Holland; and Hayden; sisters, Gloria Burt; and Linda White; and mother, Shirley Swenson. Sonya was preceded in death by her husband, John Keizer; and parents, Raymond Hale Swenson and Marion Alma Swenson. A memorial service will be held on Tuesday, March 22, 2005, at 2 p.m., at First United Methodist Church, 1771 W. Harvard Blvd, Roseburg.

Alice Ann Walton
WALTON, Alice Ann — Passed away in her sleep on January 6, 2006. She was born in Seattle, Washington, on July 16, 1923, the daughter of Fredrick L. and Helen S. Harford. In September 1943, she married Dudley C. Walton, whom she met during World War II when he was stationed at Whidbey Island Naval Air Base. They moved to Roseburg, Oregon, in 1948. She is survived by her sister, Mary H. Mooers of Roseburg; her three children, Ann E. Pearmain of Artic, Washington; Sara H. Gorthy of Roseburg; Dudley C. (Duke) Walton II of Portland, Oregon; and her granddaughter, Clair A. Smith of Eugene, Oregon. The service will be on Thursday, January 19, 2006, at 2 p.m. at St. George's Episcopal Church in Roseburg. If you wish to make a memorial contribution, the family suggests St. George's Episcopal Church, 1024 S.E. Cass St., Roseburg or Douglas County Republican Party, PO Box 2392, Roseburg, Oregon 97470.


Reverend Ernest Norman Greenlund
GREENLUND, Reverend Ernest Norman — Age 87, of Roseburg, Oregon, went safely home to the Lord from Curry Manor, where he had resided for the past two years. He was born on May 6, 1918, in Yacolt, Washington, the son of August and Marie (Michel) Greenlund. He graduated from the University of Washington with a R.O.T.C. Commission, which led to an interruption in his San Francisco Theological Seminary Education. He served our country during WWII with the San Francisco Harbor Defense Army Military (Coast Artillery) from 1941 until 1942. He completed Seminary and served as pastor in Presbyterian Churches in Cloverdale, Oregon; Portland, Oregon (Kenilworth); Havre, Montana; and Burbank, California, (First Presbyterian). He married in 1941 and he and his wife Dorothy had four children, Carol Sue, Gary, Lloyd and Mary Louise. In the fall of 1962, he returned to school at U.S.C. and earned both elementary and secondary teaching credentials. Ernest began an 18-year teaching career in the Los Angeles, California, public school system. Math was his main teaching subject, but he also taught English as a second language at night school. For a number of years during this time, he was also a part-time assistant to the pastor at the Redondo Beach Presbyterian Church. He retired in 1980 and he and Dorothy moved to Roseburg where he continued his ministry as pulpit supply. He preached three and a half years at the Garden Valley Retirement Residential Center and part-time as needed as a Chaplain at the Roseburg VA Hospital. Ernest was active in community work, serving on the Republican Central Committee for several years, as well as serving on the Senior Services Board and other community projects. He also was a member of the Presbytery of the Cascades and was formerly active with the Portland Masonic Order, the Havre Rotary Club and the Los Angeles Shriners. He is survived his wife, Dorothy; four children; eight grandchildren; and ten great-grandchildren, with one more one great-granddaughter one the way. He also leaves his brother, George, one aunt and several nieces, nephews and cousins. Memorial services are pending later this spring with arrangements under the direction of Taylor’s Family Chapel. The family would like to thank Curry Manor for the care and love they showed Ernest and his family.

Vauldrene Eisenberger Metcalf Cotner
COTNER, Vauldrene Eisenberger Metcalf — A woman who spent her life exploring countries all over the world, has taken her final journey to be reunited with her beloved sister and parents in heaven. As a cancer survivor of thirty years, she fought the same disease she believed to have been cured. Her valiant struggle reminded her family of the inner strength she possessed. Vauldrene was born on February 7, 1914, to Edward Eisenberger and Fern Lynch on their family farm in Minier, Illinois. The snow was so deep the doctor had to walk a mile and a half along the railroad tracks to the Eisenberger farm to deliver Vauldrene. She was he oldest child and lovingly cared for her sister, Rosalie. After completing high school, she enrolled at Illinois State University in the hopes of becoming a teacher. After two years, she decided to enroll at Carl’s Beauty School. She was the only student to pass the state exam because of her knowledge of Latin, which was taught in high school. With the help of her father, she opened her own beauty shop, “The Powder Box”, which she operated for many years. She was married in 1936 to John Metcalf, they had one son, Jac Lee Metcalf. They divorced in 1943. She married Frank Cotner in 1947 as he returned home from World War II. Frank also served in the Korean Conflict and the Vietnam war. One morning while Frank was stationed in Saigon, Vauldrene was awoke and knocked out of bed from a bomb blast. She then decided it was time to leave Saigon and moved to Bangkok, Thailand. She and Frank had numerous opportunities to travel in his free time. They would take off and had eventually traveled around the world twice. She has been to Egypt; Australia; England; Yemen; Calcutta; Ethiopia; Lebanon; Spain; Ireland; Russia; Germany; Japan; India; China; and Turkey. She collected dolls from all the foreign countries she had visited. Her favorite cultures were Hawaiian, Indian and Asian. Once Vauldrene returned to the United States, settling in Phoenix, Arizona, she became President of the Arizona Republican Women’s Club. As President of the club, she had the opportunity to meet Mrs. Ronald Reagan. In her four years in office, she helped increased the number of members by over 1000. She was also involved in the VFW Women’s Auxiliary. In 1988, after suffering from a stroke, Vauldrene moved to Roseburg to be closer to her family. She resided at the Vine Street Apartments. She enjoyed being involved in the Senior Center. She liked to make and sell items at the local craft fair. She was one of the first residents at Callahan Village. With her best friends, Ester Cotton and Mercedes White at her side she stayed busy sewing crafts and quilts for the Callahan Crafters. Vauldrene loved simple things like ice cream social's, handing out candy at Halloween and bingo. She was very proud of her family. Her son, Jac Metcalf and his wife, Collette who helped care for mothers, children and grandchildren. She is survived by her four grandchildren, Tim Metcalf and his wife, Michelle; Michael Metcalf and his wife, Kim; Tammy Rasmussen and her husband, Tim; Shannon Metcalf and his wife, Amy; 10 great-grandchildren, Tyler; Emmett; George; July; Austin; Gabriel; Dalton; Adam; Hannah; Matthew; three nephews, Terry; Marc; Bill Bourrett, and their families; and numerous nieces, nephews and cousins in Illinois. She was preceded in death by her father, Edward; mother, Fern; and sister, Rosalie Bourrett. Private cremation rites will be held at Wilson’s Chapel of the Roses on April 14, 2006, at 1 p.m. Her final resting place will be in Minier in the Eisenberger family plot. A memorial service will be held at Callahan Village on April 23, 2006, at 2 p.m. In lieu of flowers, a donation of supplies to the Callahan Crafters would be appreciated. A hui-hou mom, till we meet again, we love you.

Georgia Ann Gratke
Gratke, Georgia Ann — Age 77, of Roseburg, Oregon, passed away on Saturday, October 14, 2006. She was born on September 14, 1929, in Nyssa, Oregon. Georgia graduated from Crook County High School Of Music in Prineville, Oregon, in 1947. She attended Pacific university from 1947 until 1950. Georgia then graduated from the University of Oregon School of Music in 1953. Member of Phi Beta National Honorary Fraternity. Early in her adult life, her hobbies and activities included quilting, cooking, swimming, and singing as a soprano soloist in her church and at community functions over the decades. In 1952, she began teaching music in Reedsport, Oregon. Her community involvement is what she will be most remembered for. Earlier activities included, Hucrest PTA, Riversdale School Mothers club president, Roseburg Community Concert Association, Roseburg Choral Society, Messiah Festival chorus, 4-H Leader, Co-chair Douglas County Extension Long Range Planning Committee, St. Joseph’s Catholic Church Parish Council, St. Joseph’s School Board, St. Joseph’s Budget Committee, Choir Director, Mercy Medical Center Auxiliary, Roseburg Mayors Committee, Willis House Preservation, Umpqua Community College (various involvements to include Auditorium committee...Glady’s Strong Memorial Piano Fund, presently on the budget committee) YMCA Board Member, Past board member and Chair of the Douglas County Library Board, University of Oregon Mother’s Club member and President, Organizing Chair of the University of Oregon Parent’s Club, University of Oregon Foundation Board. In 1979, she was appointed by then Governor Atiyeh to the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education for a period of seven years. She also was involved in PEO sisterhood. In 1980, she received the Roseburg Area Chamber of Commerce First Citizen Award. Over the decades she has been an active member in the Republican Party in Douglas County including Chair of the party in the county. Her work in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) began in 1970, with positions including State Chair. Recent DAR involvement includes the position of State Treasurer. In the early 1980’s, she began a career in local real estate. She worked for several local firms before retiring from the Neil Company realtors in the early 1990’s. Georgia is survived by her son, David; daughter in-law, Pam; granddaughter, Sydney Elizabeth; brothers, Hugh Dragich of Prineville, Oregon; Dale Dragich Belen, New Mexico and numerous nieces and nephews. Georgia loved her family and friends dearly. Georgia is preceded by her daughter, Gretchen Elizabeth in 1967 and her husband, George Carl in 1992. In lieu of flowers, please kindly consider a donation to one of these organizations; Oregon trail Council Boy Scouts of America, Eugene, Oregon, Umpqua Community College Foundation, Roseburg, Greater Douglas United Way, Roseburg, or Mercy Hospice House, Roseburg. Mass of the christian burial will be held on Thursday, October 19, 2006, at 12 p.m., at St. Joseph Catholic Church. Long & Shukle Memorial Chapel is in charge of arrangements.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Oregon Republican League: History 104 Biographies

Every Wednesday, the Oregon Republican League will post the biographies of important figures, in the League's/State of Oregon's history. Feel free to comment or share stories of your family's Republican affiliation.

An Illustrated History of Central Oregon, embracing Wasco, Sherman, Gilliam, Wheeler, Crook, Lake and Klamath Counties, State of Oregon
Western Historical Publishing Company Publishers Spokane, Washington (1905)
Pages 402-403

CHARLES H. SOUTHERN is one of the pioneers of the Boyd country where he has dwelt constantly since coming to Oregon. He is well known business man and property owner and one of the most prominent citizens of the place. He was born in Iowa, on May 14, 1855, the son of Martin and Elizabeth (Bolton) Southern, natives of Virginia. The father's parents were also born in Virginia. The mother came from an old Virginia family. In the fall of 1871, the family came to Oregon and settled in Wasco county near Boyd. The father died on May 5, 1900. Our subject always lived with his parents and upon his father's death, he purchased the old homestead from his mother, which is a residence and eighty acres where he now lives, and four hundred acres of choice wheat land adjoining. Charles H. was educated in the place where the family lived in his early days and was married on November 4, 1878, at The Dalles. The lady of his choice was Miss Emma Rice, who was born in Lane county, Oregon. Her father, Horace Rice, was a native of Ohio and his father died when he was a small lad. He came to Oregon with his mother and brothers and sisters in 1851. His mother had married Beckwith Cook. She died in Polk county, Oregon, in 1874. Mr. Southern has no full brothers living, one half brother, William, two sisters, Mrs. Ella Rice and Mrs. Lenna Seeley (should be Seely). Mr. and Mrs. Southern have two children, Ethel, wife of Roy D. Butler, a merchant at Boyd and mentioned elsewhere in this work, and Harry dwelling at home. Mrs. Southern has the following named brothers and sisters, George, Austin C., Mrs. Etta Waterman and Mrs. Nellie Mann.

Mr. and Mrs. Southern are both devout members of the Methodist church while he holds the office of trustee. He also belongs to the W.W. Politically, he is a Republican and active in the support of the principles of his party, being frequently at the conventions and also taking a keen interest in the campaigns. He has been school director many terms and is a zealous supporter of educational advancement. Mr. Southern laid out the townsight of Boyd in 1895 but he had been in business there since 1889 as a general merchant. About 1899, he sold his store to his son-in-law and now gives his attention to the oversight of his property interests.

Page 402-403, An Illustrated History of Central Oregon, embracing Wasco, Sherman, Gilliam, Wheeler, Crook, Lake and Klamath Counties, State of Oregon, Western Historical Publishing Company Publishers Spokane, Wash., 1905.

"History of Central Oregon " (1906)
Biographical Sketches of Lake County
page 900

SNIDER,Charles U.

Charles U. Snider one of the earliest pioneers of Lake county, and one who, probably, has done a lion’s share toward the up-building and development of the county and especially the city of Lakeview, where he now resides, is the man whose name forms the caption for this sketch. Mr. Snider came to Jackson county, now Lake county, March 12, 1869, and soon after his advent there he engaged in clerical work for his uncle, A. Snider, who conducted a merchandise store at Camp Warren. He began as bookkeeper but in the fall of the following year he assumed the management of a store, also belonging to his uncle at Camp Harney. Two years later he took charge of a store at Willow Ranch, in California, six miles from the Oregon line. In 1874 he formed a partnership with his uncle under the firm style of A. & C.U. Snider, and in April 1876, built the first business house in Lakeview. In 1890 Mr. Snider was appointed by President Harrison to the position of receiver for the United States land office at Lakeview, which position he filled four years at that time, and on October 12, 1903, he received an appointment to the same office at the hands of President Roosevelt, so is now serving the first been a Republican. He cast his first president vote for General Grant and has voted the Republican ticket ever since. He has been continuously in the mercantile business until 1904. He has built and own grist and sawmills in different parts of the county, and has also been engaged more or less in the business of farming and stock raising. He has always been actively interested in the promotion of education and has ever been ready to donate substantial aid toward the erection of churches and all institutions making for the moral betterment of his community.

Charles U. Snider is a native of Shawneetown, Illinois, born March 20, 1846. His father was Joseph U. Snider, a native of Germany, who came to the United States at the age of eighteen years and located in Mansfield, Ohoi. From that city he went to Shawneetown in 1842, and their died at the age of seventy-eight, in the year 1893. Margaret (Dorsey) Snider was our subject’s mother. she was born in Hagerstown, Maryland and died in 1872.

Before coming west Mr. Snider received a common school education, and in 1862 he came a clerk on an Ohio river steamboat. In this capacity he worked until coming to Oregon. He returned to the east in 1876, and was there married, May 2 of that year, to Miss Mary E.McCallen, a daughter of Andrew and Mary A. (Castle) McCallen, of Shawneetown, Illinois. To this marriage five children have been born, two of whom died during infancy. The three now living are; Warner B. married to Frances Jones, Mae and Clarence U. the firs named is now city recorder of Lakeview.

Mr. Snider is prominently identified with the fraternity interests of his city, being a member of the Blue Lodge, A.F. and A.M. , Lakeview lodge,No. 63, I.O.O.F., of which he is a past grand, and of the A.O.U.W.

He has a considerable amount of city property in Lakeview, including a brick and a frame store building and a first class home. He is one of the first pioneers of Lakeview, and is looked upon by the public generally as one of her first and best citizens.

Monday, January 01, 2007

Wishing everyone, a very HAPPY NEW YEAR !!

Robert Burns, Standard English Translation

Old Long Past

And for old long past, my joy (sweetheart),
For old long past,
We will take a cup of kindness yet,
For old long past,

Should old acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
And days of old long past.

And surely you will pay for your pint-vessel!
And surely I will pay for mine!
And we will take a cup of kindness yet,
For old long past.

We two have run about the hillsides
And pulled the wild daisies fine;
But we have wandered many a weary foot
Since old long past.

We two have paddled in the stream,
From morning sun till noon;
But seas between us broad have roared
Since old long past.

And there is a hand, my trusty friend!
And give me a hand of yours!
And we will take a right good-will drink,
For old long past.


Robert Burns' Original

Auld Lang Syne

And for auld lang syne, my jo,
For auld lang syne,
We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet,
For auld lang syne,

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And days o' auld lang syne.

And surely ye'll be your pint-stowp!
And surely I'll be mine!
And we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet,
For auld lang syne.

We twa hae run about the braes
And pu'd the gowans fine;
But we've wander'd mony a weary foot
Sin auld lang syne.

We twa hae paidl'd i' the burn,
Frae mornin' sun till dine;
But seas between us braid hae roar'd
Sin auld lang syne.

And there's a hand, my trusty fiere!
And gie's a hand o' thine!
And we'll tak a right guid willy waught,
For auld lang syne.