Every Wednesday, the Oregon Republican League will post the biographies of important figures, in the League's/State of Oregon's history. Click on the head link above, to visit more of our listings at genealogy.com. Feel free to comment or share stories of your family's Republican affiliation.
Oregon Republican League:
Republican League Register of Oregon, The Register Publishing Company, 1896, pages 223-227.
HIRSCH, HON. SOLOMON, of Portland, ex-Minister to Turkey, and now chairman of the Republican state central committee, was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, March 25, 1839. At the age of seventeen he came to America and in 1858 came to Oregon with his brother Edward, the two embarking in business at The Dalles. In 1864 he came to Portland and engaged in business, forming, ten years later, the wholesale dry goods house of Fleischner, Mayer & Co., in which he is still interested. Mr. Hirsch has been prominent in Republican politics in Oregon, as a member of county and state conventions and committees, and chairman of them, and in other ways. In 1872 he was elected to the legislature. In 1874 he was elected to the state senate, again in 1878 and again in 1882, making twelve years’ continuous service in that body, of which he was president in 1880. In 1882 he was chairman of the state committee. In 1885 he was a candidate for the United States senate, and came within one vote of election. In 1888, while in Europe, he was appointed Minister to Turkey by President Harrison, and filled that responsible position three years, when he resigned. At the last state convention he was elected chairman of the state central committee, and is now conducting the campaign.
HOBBS, JOHN W., of McMinnville, was born in Morgan County, Indiana, October 1, 1856, and came to Oregon in June, 1882, locating in Yamhill County on a farm. In 1888 he was elected County Clerk, and a delegate to every county convention since coming to the state, to the state conventions of 1890 and 1892, to the congressional convention of 1894, and to league meetings.
HOBSON, HON. W. H. [Editor inserted: William H. Hobson], of Stayton, was born in Missouri in 1846 and came to Oregon the following year. He has been a merchant at Stayton since 1868. He is a lifelong Republican, and was elected to the State Senate in 1894.
HODGKIN, FRANK E., of Salem, was born in Tecumseh, Michigan, March 8, 1846, and came to Oregon in 1870. He was mailing clerk in the Portland Postoffice two years, city editor of the Salem Statesman in 1872-73, city editor of the Portland Bulletin in 1874-75, of the Telegram in 1876 and Bee in 1877. In 1878 he was appointed Assistant Secretary of State under Hon. R. P. Earhart, and held the position till 1887. In 1891 he was appointed Assistant State Treasurer under Hon. Phil Metschan, and still occupies the position.
HODSON, O. O. [Editor inserted: Orlando O. Hodson], of McMinnville, was born in Rush County, Indiana, May 27, 1857, and came to Oregon in 1878, locating in Salem. In February, 1881, he went to McMinnville, where he has since been engaged in business, having a large hardware store. He is an earnest Republican, a worker who has never sought political position. He has been frequently a delegate to conventions, and was a delegate to the league meetings of 1894-95-96.
HOFER, HON. E. [Editor inserted: Ernest Hofer], editor of the Salem Capital Journal, one of the leading Republican dailies of the state, was born in Iowa in 1854. He was admitted to the bar, but has never practiced, and since 1876 has been in newspaper work. He was Secretary of the Iowa Senate two terms before coming to Oregon in 1889. In 1894 he was elected to the legislature. He has been a frequent member of conventions and league meetings. In 1893-94 he was commander of the Oregon Division, Sons of Veterans.
HOLBROOK, PHILO, of Portland, was born in Seymour, Connecticut, in July, 1840. At the age of eighteen he went to sea before the mast. In 1849 he went to California and to Portland. He worked at various things till 1861, when he went to the Idaho mines for a year. Then for ten years he was in the employ of the O. S. N. co. on the near Portland, and in 1881 moved into the city, engaging in the real estate business. He has always been an active Republican and a member of conventions and league meetings. In 1878 he was elected County Commissioner, and again in 1892. He is again nominated for that position.
HOPE, HON. I. W. [Editor inserted: Irvine W. Hope], of Vale, was born in Wisconsin in 1861. After living in several Western states, he settled in Malheur Valley in 1883, where he engaged in merchandising, farming, and stock raising. Mr. Hope has been a member of county and state conventions, and since 1894 has been member of the state central committee. In 1894 he was elected to the legislature.
HORNER, SAMUEL S., of Heppner, was born in Decatur, Iowa, May 15, 1866. He settled in Heppner in 1893. In 1895 he was a delegate to the league. Mr. Horner was the writer of the Heppner Quartet campaign songs, largely used throughout the state in the campaign of 1894.
HOUSER, ZOETH, of Pendleton, was born in Union County, Illinois, October 13, 1852. In 1877 he came to Oregon, and has since been a continuous resident of Pendleton. He engaged in the stock business till 1880, then in the meat business till 1883, and since in mercantile business. In 1888 he was elected Sheriff, and was re-elected in 1894. He is again the Republican nominee for that office.
HOVEY, HON. A. G. [Editor inserted: Albert G. Hovey], of Eugene, one of the pioneer Republicans of the state, was born in Londonderry, New Hampshire, July 11, 1830. He was educated at Mariette, Ohio, and in 1849 crossed the plains to California. In 1850 he came to Oregon and located at Corvallis, teaching school. In 1851 he was appointed Clerk of the United States District Court and was also elected the first clerk of Benton County. He read law and was admitted to the bar in 1853, but preferred to follow commercial pursuits. He was one of the founders of the Republican party in Oregon, and one of the three delegates sent to the national convention that nominated Lincoln in 1860, Horace Greeley acting as his proxy. In 1884 he was again chosen national delegate. In 1862 he was elected to the State Senate, and sat in three sessions. In 1866 he moves to Portland, to Springfield in 1867, and to Eugene in 1879. In 1881 he helped organize the Lane County Bank, and has continuously been its president. He has been Mayor of Eugene, but has consistently declined other official honors. In 1892 he again attended the national convention, and was appointed by President Harrison a member of the board of visitors to the West Point Military Academy.
HOWARD, THOMAS R., of Heppner, was born in Shelby County, Illinois, November 20, 1849, and came to Oregon in 1853, and located in Clackamas County. He has resided in Heppner since 1894, then in Umatilla County. He was delegate to the state convention in 1884, and when Morrow County was created in 1885 he was appointed Assessor by Governor Moody. He was elected Sheriff in 1886 and re-elected in 1888, by a majority of 359, and was the only Republican who carried every precinct in the County. He was a delegate to the county conventions of 1892 and 1894, the league of 1895, and the state conventions of 1896.
HOWARD, C. J. [Editor inserted: Charles J. Howard], editor of the Eugene Register, was born in Monticello, Iowa, October 10, 1866. He was reared in O’Brien County, Iowa, and came west to Tacoma in 1883. He worked there and in Salem as a printer till 1886, when he came to Eugene, working at his trade. In 1895 he because joint owner and editor of the Register, which is doing good service in the Republican cause.
HOWELL, T. J. [Editor inserted: Thomas J. Howell], of Ashland, was born in St. Clair County, Illinois, April 3, 1838, and came to Oregon in 1883. He then went to Puget Sound for a year, then to California till 1893, when he located to Ashland. HE was a delegate to the Jackson County convention in 1894. He was a Judge of the Circuit Court in Jasper County, Mississippi, before coming to Oregon. He is now practicing law in Ashland.
HUBBARD, W. C. [William C. Hubbard], of Salem, was born in Pike County, Illinois, November 8, 1836, and came to Oregon in 1847, locating on a farm seven miles southeast of Oregon City. He moved in 1848 to a farm in Marion County, where the town of Hubbard, named after his father, now stands, and lived there until 1892, when he moved to Salem. He has been a delegate to nearly every county convention since 1880, to the state convention of 1884 and the league meetings of 185 and 1896. He was elected County Commissioner in 1882, and again in 1884. In 1892 he was elected County Judge for four years.
HUFFORD, W. S. [Editor inserted: Walter S. Hufford], of Corvallis, was born at Charleston, Lee County, Iowa, September 7, 1853, and came to Oregon in 1873, locating near Albany. He studied law in Corvallis, and was admitted to the bar in December 16, 1875. He engaged in farming five years, and has been in active practice of his profession sixteen years. He has been a delegate to nearly all county conventions since 1874, to the state conventions of 1890 and 1892, and the league in 1896. He was elected City Recorder of Corvallis in 1882-3-4-5, was nominated District Attorney in 1888, and was elected County Judge in 1892 and 1894.
HUME, PETER, of Roseburg, is one of the men of affairs of the state. He was born in Nova Scoria, August 16, 1849, his grandfather, Peter Hume, having moved there from New England, to engage in the lumbering business. His youth was spent at the head of the great Bay of Fundy, where he served eight years at carriage making and painting. In 1862 he came to Portland with the great rush to the northern gold fields, and went to Victoria. In 1863 he was in the famous Cariboo mines of Northern British Columbia. In 1865 he located at Nanaimo, British Columbia, and in 1867 returned to Oregon, location in Brownsville. From that time he helped the Republican party fight against heavy Democratic majorities in Linn County. In 1872 he associated himself with W.R. Kirk in the general merchandise business, and in 1873, with Thomas Kay and others, revived the Brownsville Woolen Mills, which have been running almost constantly ever since. He was chosen president of the company. In 1889 Albany offered a bonus of $25,000 for the mills to move to that city, but Mr. Hume organized a new company, bought the mills and kept them in Brownsville. In 1887, with J. M. Moyer and W. R. Kirk , he organized the Bank of Brownsville. In 1891 he moved to Roseburg, where he is cashier of the Douglas County Bank. In 1873 Mr. Hume was appointed Postmaster at Brownsville, and was elected first Recorder of the city. He again became Postmaster in 1881. He was president of the first City Council of South Brownsville and City Recorder two terms. He has been a prominent figure in conventions for the last quarter of a century.
HUME, HON. WILSON T., District Attorney and a leading lawyer of Portland, was born at Placerville, California, October 21, 1859. In his youth, his father being dead, he lived with relatives at New Haven, Connecticut, Lima, Indiana, and Placerville, attending the Placerville Academy and the Wabash College, in Crawfordsville, Indiana. He began life as a stenographer, and as such entered the office of Hon. J. N. Dolph, at Portland, in 1884, and then Dolph & Simon’s office. He was admitted to the bar in 1884, and in 1885 entered the firm of Watson, Hume & Watson. In 1889 he was elected to the legislature, and in 1890 was appointed Assistant District Attorney. In 1892 he was nominated and elected District Attorney, and was re-elected in 1894. He in an able and forceful speaker, both in court and on the platform.
HUMPHERYS, HON. T. D. [Editor inserted: Thomas D. Humphery], of Hillsboro, was born in Indiana in 1822, and came to Oregon in 1847, and made Washington County his permanent home. He was one of the early Republicans. He was Probate Judge in territorial days, and subsequently was United States Assessor County, Clerk and County Judge. He was a frequent member of county and state conventions and state central committee.
HUNTINGTON, J. B. [Editor inserted: John B. Huntington], founder of the town of Huntington, where he lives, was born in Rockford, Illinois, in 1850. In 1867 he went to Olympia, Wash., and was in the office of the Superintendent of Indian Affairs, except when attending school at Forest Grove, Oregon, till 1872. He then engages in the cattle business in Eastern Oregon eight years. In 1880 he purchased a ranch, where Huntington now stands, and founded that town in 1883. In 1889 he was appointed Register of the United States Land Office at Burns, retiring in 1894. He was Reading Clerk of the State Senate during the last session.
HUNTINGTON, B. S. [Editor inserted: Bela S. Huntington], an attorney of The Dalles, was born in Rockford, Illinois, February 5, 1858. He lived at St. Johnsbury, Vermont, from 1864 to 1867, and Olympia, Washington, from 1867 to 1875. He then attended the academy at St. Johnsbury three years, and graduated at the University of Vermont in 1882. He studied law at Ann Arbor, Michigan, and was admitted in that state in 1883 and in Oregon in 1884, a short time after locating at The Dalles. He was president of the McKinley Club from 1892 to 1894, and chairman of the county committee. He is the Republican nominee for Joint Representative for Wasco and Gillam Counties.
HURLEY, HON. HARTWELL, deceased, was born in Maine, September 28, 1839, moved to Oshikosh, Wisconsin, in 1846, and in 1864 came to Oregon. He was admitted to the bar, taught school for a time, and then began practice in Lafayette. He was soon appointed Deputy Prosecuting Attorney and United States Commissioner. In 1874 he was elected Judge of Yamhill County, serving till 1878. In 1890 he removed to Portland, and in 1893 was appointed Judge of the Circuit Court, being elected in 1894. He died in Portland in August, 1895. He was a frequent member of county and state conventions and committees.
HYLAND, AMOS D., of Lowell, Lane County, was born in Plainfield, Illinois, in 1837 and came to Oregon in 1852. He is a farmer, stock raiser, merchant and Postmaster. He was one of the Home Guards in 1860, and voted for Lincoln. He has been a member of the county central committee for years, and delegate to county and state conventions, and was at one time a Republican nominee for the legislature.
IDELMAN, HON. CICERO M., Attorney General of Oregon, is thirty-nine years of age, and a native of Ohio, where h was educated and admitted to the bar. He immediately came to Oregon and formed a partnership with Johnson & McCown, in 1885. He soon took front rank in the profession, and in 1894 was nominated and elected Attorney General. He was a member of the executive committee of the State League from 1892 to 1894. He was elected the first president of the Multorpor Republican Club in 1892, and was re-elected the three succeeding years.
IRVINE, C. B. [Editor inserted: Clare Bartlett Irvine], editor and manager of the Salem Statesmen, was born in Oregon, Missouri. He learned the printer’s trade and learned the newspaper business as a reporter on Kansas City and St. Joseph papers. He came to Oregon in 1887, and was for several years city editor of the Statesman, of which he is now editor, manager, and one of the two owners. Mr. Irvine was secretary and press representatives of the Oregon World’s Fair Commission, and has been three times secretary of the Oregon State Board of Agriculture.
IRWIN, HON. G. M. [Editor inserted: George M. Irwin], State Superintendent of Public Instruction, is a native of Zanesville, Ohio, and a graduate of the Ohio Wesleyan University. He entered the ministry of the M. E. church, and during the war was chaplain of the Forty-fourth Illinois Infantry, and later with the Sanitary Commission. He has been a minister and educator for more than thirty years. In 1880 he came to Walla Walla and was an instrumental in founding the colleges at Lewiston and Spokan. In 1882 he came to Oregon as President of the Blue Mountain University. He has done much effective campaign work for the Republican Party. In 1888 he was appointed Superintendent of the Indian Training School at Chemawa, and held the position three years. In 1892 he was a Presidential elector, and in 1894 was elected Senate Superintendent of Public Instruction.